This church is so famous across Greece and the Orthodox Christian world, that it is usually referred to simply as ‘the church of Tinos’ or ‘Virgin Mary of Tinos.’ Built in 1823, it is an impressive temple, for the creation of which some of the finest marble from Tinos and neighboring islands has been used.
Its fame and recognition stem from the reputedly miraculous icon called Panagia Evangelistria (The All-Holy Bringer of Good News), excavated near the area in January 1823 and still on display in the church. According to tradition, Virgin Mary appeared as a vision on nun Pelagia and revealed the location of the buried icon. It represents a major Christian pilgrimage in Greece, equal to what is Lourdes in France or Fatima in Portugal. Thousands of devoted Christians visit the sacred temple each year, especially on the major feast of the church, on 15th of August, the day of the Assumption of Virgin Mary.